While most libraries will fall over themselves to tell people about the new books they’ve had in, we thought we’d have a change and seek out the oldest books we could find in the ILC.
These are our three oldest:
- Freshford, A Study, by The Rev P. J. Goodrich, published in 1929
- The Place-Names of Wiltshire, edited by Allen Mawer and F. M. Stenton, published in 1939
- A History of Everyday Things In England, Pt 4, by M. & C.H.B Quennell, published in 1942.
All are from the history section, and date from when the ILC was part of Fitzmaurice Grammar School, long before St Laurence existed.
The oldest is a history of the small village of Freshford, not too far away from Bradford-on-Avon. It was written by local vicar, Percival John Goodrich.
The place names book from 1939 is a bit dull, but good for the odd fact. For example, Bradford on Avon was originally Bradanforda be Afne in 900AD, and Budbury (one of the names for the school houses) was originally Bodeberie in the Doomsday Book of 1086.
The 1940s history book was written by a couple, Majorie and Charles, who were an artist and an architect respectively. It covers housing, city planning, dress, everyday utensils, transport, and material culture from the mid-19th century through to 1942 – what would today be defined as “social history”. Whilst Charles wrote most of the text, the book is full of Marjorie’s detailed illustrations.
Together all three give a small insight into what life might have been like in Bradford-on-Avon and the local area over the past 100 years.